As requested by a friend, I’ve decided to upload some recipes on here while I work on my recipe journal, and here’s my first vegetarian recipe on here:
Mushy Peas Risotto
- Big handful of frozen/fresh peas
- 200g Arborio rice
- 1 vegetable stock cube dissolved in about 1 pint boiling water
- Small knob of butter
- Half an onion, finely chopped
- 2 gloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 50mL white wine
- 80g cheddar/Parmesan cheese, grated
- First sweat the chopped garlic and onion in a little oil until softened. Add a knob of butter when they start browning, it will help soften the chopped garlic and onion without burning them.
- Turn down the heat and throw in the rice and try to coat every grain with the oil and butter.
- Pour in the white wine and let it simmer until the rice has absorbed the wine.
- Add in just enough stock to cover the rice and let the rice absorb the stock before repeating the same process until the rice is cooked through (they should be soft with a bite but not crunchy) — most recipes tell you to repeat this process until all the stock is absorbed but I find that the amount of stock taken to cook the rice varies every time I cook risotto, it really depends on the heat and humidity when cooking, so just pay close attention to when the rice is cooked!
- While the rice is absorbing the stock, boil the peas until soft, then crush roughly with a masher and season with salt and pepper.
- When the rice is cooked, mix in the crushed peas and grated cheese.
- Serve hot!
N.B. For meat-eaters, either add in chopped bacon while sweating the onion and garlic or grill a few rashers of bacon until crispy, break them into pieces and scatter over the top when serving!
Hope you will enjoy this!